1.Weak men wait for opportunity, but the strong men make it.
2.Opportunity meets the prepared mind, as the old saying goes.
3.Perseverance is failing nineteen times and succeeding the twentieth.
4.He tried hard to learn, and to be a good boy, and he succeeded fairly well.
5.In fact, there’s an old Chinese saying which goes, “He who hasn’t been to the Great Wall is not a true man.”
6.A man is not old as long as he is seeking something. -John Barrymore
只要一个人还有所追求, 她就没有老。 ── 约翰·巴里莫尔 (美国艺术家)
7. To take advantage of them, you can’t let yourself be destroyed by a defeat, or let others set the limits on your ability to achieve.
利用它们, 你就不会被一次失败击倒, 也不会让别人来限制住你成功的能力。
8. Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.
9. The most important thing in life is to have a beautiful dream and good ways to realize it.
10. We must carry on till success in spite of the extremely difficult conditions.
尽管条件极端困难, 我们必须坚持下去, 直到成功。
11. This belief in equal opportunity has produced a spirit of competition. It’s like a race to the top of the success ladder.
12. Success is dangerous. One begins to copy oneself, and to copy oneself is more dangerous than to copy others. It leads to sterility. -Picasso (1881-1973), Spanish artist
成功是危险的。一个成功的人开始模仿自己，而模仿自己比模仿别人更加危险。因为这样做将毫无结果。 ── 毕加索 (1881-1973), 西班牙画家
13. But failure also taught me that life is a road with unpredictable forks and unexpected tomorrows.
但是, 失败还使我懂得, 生活的道路充满了无法预测的岔路口和无法预料的明天。
14. The common idea that success spoils people by making them vain, egotistic, and self-complacent is erroneous; on the contrary, it makes them, for the most part, humble, tolerant, and kind. Failure makes people cruel and bitter. -W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965), British author
人们普遍认为成功使人变得虚荣、自以为是、自满, 从而毁了他们, 但这种看法是错误的;恰恰相反, 成功在很大程度上使人变得谦恭、宽容、善良。失败则使人变得残忍、怨愤。 ── W·萨默塞特·莫姆 (1874-1965), 英国作家
15. Against all the odds she achieved her dream of becoming an actress.
16. He is too smart not to jump at the chance.
17. I’m not sure if I’ll succeed, but I certainly hope so.
18. I wish you every success.
19. He seems to be successful in anything he tries.
20. Experience shows that success is due less to ability than to zeal.
21. Ambition is to life just what steam is to the locomotive.
22. With their advanced features and compact size, portable electronic devices offer consumers freedom, productivity, and organization.
由于本身小巧玲珑, 又具备种种先进的特点, 便携式电子设备为消费者带来了自由, 提高了生产力, 改进了对信息的组织。
23. However, the ease and speed with which messages can be sent and received has increased and accelerated to such an extent that many people are receiving hundreds of electronic messages of all kinds each day.
但是, 信息发送与接收的便捷发展得如此之快, 以至于很多人每天都会收到各种各样、成百上千的电子邮件。
24. Just as history has shown that species which fail to adapt die out, businesses will die out if they don’t get to grips with the Internet.正如历史所示, 适者生存, 企业如果不紧跟互联网就将退出历史的舞台。
25. Television is different from radio in that it sends and receives pictures.
26. When people master the digital organization, it will greatly simplify and improve both their professional and personal lives.
27. A new IT high-tech park in Beijing is helping the city keep its promise to be the country’s center of the knowledge-based economy.一所焕然一新的IT高科技园帮助北京实现了它的诺言:成为全国知识型经济的中心。
28. Observation is the best teacher.
29. Imagination is more important than knowledge.
想像力比知识更重要。 ── 爱因斯坦
30. Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it.
31. We can kill two birds with one stone by combining our honeymoon with our business trip.
32. Greatly inspired, he made up his mind to read as much as he could, and what’s more, he would study harder than ever before.
33. Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
世界上再也没有比实实在在的无知和认认真真的愚蠢更危险的了。─ 小马丁·路德·金 (美国社会活动家)
34. Eat to live, but live to eat.
35. To my knowledge, my daughter has never told a lie before.
36. In the long run, basic knowledge and technological applications go hand in hand-one helps the other.
归根结蒂, 基础知识和技术应用是并进的, 相辅相成的。
37. Reading (and learning) is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
38. English is now the international language for airline pilots, scientists, medical experts, businessmen and many others. Consequently, more and more people are learning it.
现在, 对于航空公司飞行员、科学家、医学家、商人及许多其他行业的工作者来说,英语是一门国际性语言, 因此越来越多的人开始学习英语。
39. Unlike many other widely used languages, English can be correctly used in very simple form with less than one thousand basic words and very few grammatical rules.
40. English will doubtless continue to change and develop as a living language always does.
41. Another reason for the popularity of English is that English-speaking countries are spread through out the world.
42. Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.
43. An estimated 310 million people in Britain, U.S.A., Canada, Australia, South Africa, etc. use English as their mother tongue.
44. It is surprising that some students have little or no knowledge of English.
令人感到吃惊的是, 有些学生英语懂得很少, 或者根本不懂英语。
45. The rush to learn English has reached even China.
46. Washington is known as “the father of his country” and is one of those “larger than life” historical figures who are known around the world.
47. Many immigrants have come to this land of opportunity for that reason-to seek a better future.
48. Not all Americans are rich, but most are concerned about money. Success-oriented Americans often measure people’s worth by how much they have.
49. As a result, nearly half of foreign students in the U.S. are concentrated in just 100 out of 2,500 post-secondary institutions, mostly brand-name schools.
结果, 在美留学生几乎有一半集中在2500所高校的仅100所, 这些学校大多是名牌学校。
50. Credit cards symbolize American shopping habits: “Buy now, pay later.”
51. In general, the act is designed to keep the U.S. high-tech industry on top by filling the need for skilled technology workers.
52. Tom’s college education gave him an advantage over boys who had not been to a university.
53. Educators also claim that calculators are so inexpensive and commonplace that students must become competent in using them.教育家们还声称, 计算器如此便宜而又普遍, 学生必须学会熟练使用。
54. He already has five honorary doctorates-the latest bestowed upon him by Yale University late of May, 2002-but what he really wanted was this humble bachelor’s degree.
55. Calculators do have their place in the world outside school and, to a limited extent, in higher-level math classes, but they are hardly education tools.
计算器在学校之外的社会中的确有其地位, 在高等数学课堂上也有一定的作用, 但它们很难算得上是教育工具。
56. A student who has grown up with a calculator will struggle with both strategies and computations.
57. Students learn far more when they do the math themselves.
58. A student who learns to handle numbers mentally can focus on how to attack a problem and then complete the actual calculations easily.
59. It’s my mother who has been encouraging me never to lose heart when I had difficulties in study.
60. With more students applying to college than ever before, admissions directors are paying especially close attention to essays, interviews, and teacher recommendations.
61. Calculators prevent students from seeing this kind of natural structure and beauty in math.
62. If we don’t require students to do the simple problems that calculators can do, how can we expect them to solve the more complexproblems that calculators cannot do?
63. Your parents are the people responsible for helping you make decisions until you’re
64. But he is too young to understand cheating won’t do him any good in the long run.
就长远而言, 他太小, 还不懂得欺骗会给他带来害处。
65. What sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to the soul.教育之于心灵, 就如雕刻术之于大理石。
66. He began to study accounting at night sessions of the City University of New York, earning his tuition during the daytime.
67. Those who educate children well are to be more honored than the parents, for the latter only give them life while the former teach them the art of living well. -Aristotle (Ancient Greece)
68. The cloning of Dolly the sheep nearly 5 years ago raised the hopes of transplant scientists looking for an endless supply of lifesaving organs.
69. I would (had) rather join you in research work than go on a holiday to the seaside.
70. The further that Joy dug into the cutting edge of research in the new technologies-robotics, genetic engineering and nanotechnology-the more horrified he became.
71. What Henry Ford is to the automobile, George Eastman to photography, and Charles Goodyear to rubber, Edison is to not one but several of today’s essential technologies.
对当今不止一项而是多项重要技术的贡献, 就如同Henry Ford 对汽车、George Eastman 对摄影、Charles Goodyear 对橡胶的贡献一样大。
72. Very heavy objects or bulky materials like coal, cement, mineral ore, and the like, are weighed in tons.
73. By the end of this century, about 5,000 modern windmills will be in operation, generating about 20% of the electricity of the country.到本世纪末, (荷兰) 将有5000架现代化的风车投入运行, 生产约全国20%的电力。
74. Agriculture will have to undergo a drastic change to meet the needs of the new situation. Otherwise, the country will starve.
农业必须进行深入的改革, 以满足新形势的需要。否则, 国家将遭受饥荒。
75. In the northern area, it is necessary to plant varieties which are outstandingly resistant to low winter temperature.
76. Synthetic, or man-made, diamonds have been manufactured from carbon since the mid-1950s, when General Electric Co. developed the process for making small diamonds for industrial uses.
77. The WTO’s creation on January 1 1995 marked the biggest reform of international trade since the Second World War.
78. I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today. -W.A.White
我并不害怕明天, 因为我已见过昨天而又热爱今天。 ── 怀特 (美国记者)
79. He invested his money in several different companies, by which means he hoped to reduce the natural hazards of investment.
80. With the rise of the Internet, personal finance magazines and TV shows find information on investing.
81. Nothing is more precious than time yet nothing is less valued.
82. If indeed silence is golden, it is also becoming as rare as gold.
83. Man is not creature of circumstances, circumstances are the creatures of man.
84. Pollution is a global problem which needs a global response.
85. Greenhouse effect means the gradual warming of the air surrounding the earth.
86. Air is to us what water is to fish.
87. As our country is populous, it is confronted with a more and more serious crisis of resources.
88. The government has to provide against a possible oil shortage in the coming months.
89. Why do Americans emphasize money so much? Well, this “land of plenty” has long enjoyed abundant natural resources, and people have gotten used to material wealth.
为什么美国人这么看重金钱呢? 这么说吧, 这块“丰饶之地”久已享有充裕的自然资源, 而人们已习惯于丰富的物质财富。
90. A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over. -Benjamin Franklin
失足可以很快弥补, 失言却可能永远无法补救。 ── 富兰克林 (美国政治家)
91. The earliest Mother’s Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honor of Rhea’, the Mother of the Gods.
庆祝母亲节的习俗最早 可以追溯到古希腊, 当时人们在春天举行庆祝活动, 来向众神之母──莉雅女神表示敬意。
92. I am grateful to you for the opportunity to express my conviction in this most important political question.
93. I am thankful for America and thankful that we are able to resolve our electoral differences in a peaceful way.
94. Deep down, they realize that happiness can’t be bought, but it can be given away.
95. It is wrong to define happiness as owning a lot of money, but some people take it as their life philosophy.
96. He is rich in terms of money, but not in terms of happiness.
97. All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. -Leo Tolstoy
所有幸福的家庭彼此都很相似，而每个不幸的家庭却各有各的不幸。 ── 托尔斯泰
98. Unfortunately, there are still some people who do not look after their pets properly or are even cruel to them.
99. She sat up straight and pretended to believe in herself, so much so that she actually started believing in herself.
她坐直了身子, 假装对自己充满信心, 装得连她自己都开始以为自己确实很有信心。
100. It’s not easy to keep in touch with friends when they are far away, however, they are always on her mind.